The cellphone market changes nearly every day, and keeping up with all the changes is not easy, but we keep our eye on most of the best family plans out there and try to pass the latest information on to you.
Our list of the best family plans is determined based on a combination of price, coverage and commitment.
Best family plan of the major carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile)
- $100 for a family of 4 – $10 per month for each additional line. This includes 500GB of data each month with unlimited text and talk. You can increase the data for the first line for an additional charge. They have a very easy to use family plan calculator.
- No contract. Buy the phone and quit any time. You can also bring an existing phone (if it works on their network) to avoid the cost of buying the phone.
- Coverage is not as comprehensive as AT&T and Verizon, but it is just as good in most locations.
This isn’t even really a contest. When you consider the commitments and the plan prices, there’s nobody close to T-Mobile, which is why they are the only major carrier significantly adding customers right now.
Best of the rest for families
- This company is relatively new, but their plans are really, really cheap (Like $19/mo cheap). They have gotten excellent reviews and they are up front about how it works.
- In a nutshell, you buy an Android phone for $99 (They only offer one phone – Motorola DEFY XT – the MotoX is coming soon) and the plans are $19/mo after that.
- The offer includes unlimited everything. Again, they explain the catch here. They keep costs down by limiting the phone selection and optimizing the phone for switching to WiFi when possible. When not on wi-fi, it uses the Sprint network.
If you have a family full of folks that use a ton of data, you should consider Straight Talk. It is $45 per month per phone for unlimited text, talk and data (the data download speeds slow down once you reach 2.5GB per month). You can bring your own GSM or CDMA phone and just pay the monthly fee. This also works well if you have a small family – like 2 people. You can also check for a Straight Talk promo code.
Another low cost provider that can save you and your family a bunch of money. If you know how the different members of your family use their phones (texting, calling, data) you can estimate your costs with their calculator.
Here’s a video on how their family share plans work: